How It Works
RELATED: 8 Great Pain Relievers You Aren't Using
Chronic Pain Symptom Relief
Scientists have been studying the effectiveness of chiropractic care for various types of pain for many years.
General Health and Wellness Benefits
Chiropractic therapy focuses on treating disorders of the musculoskeletal and nervous systems. It's most often used to treat various types of pain.
Other Conditions That Chiropractic Care May Benefit
How to Find Chiropractic Therapy
What to Expect
During your first visit to a DC, you will likely discuss your present condition and health history, and then undergo a physical examination. Your chiropractor might order imaging or lab tests to determine what may be causing your issue(s). They may refer you to a different medical professional if necessary for your condition.
Fees: Is Chiropractic Therapy Expensive? Will Insurance Cover It?
- Major medical plans
- Workers' compensation
- Medicare (Part B covers visits that are medically necessary)
- Some Medicaid plans
- Blue Cross Blue Shield plans
Chiropractic therapy is also offered at many Veteran Association facilities.
Prices varies widely depending on your:
- Health insurance plan
- Treatment plan
Chiropractic care is generally safe and has small risks.
Editorial Sources and Fact-Checking
- What Is Chiropractic Medicine? Johns Hopkins Medicine.
- Chiropractic. MedlinePlus. November 18, 2021.
- Chiropractic Adjustment. Mayo Clinic. March 16, 2022.
- Chiropractic Treatments for Lower Back Pain. Spine-Health. March 2013.
- Côté P, Hartvigsen J, Axén I, et al. The Global Summit on the Efficacy and Effectiveness of Spinal Manipulative Therapy for the Prevention and Treatment of Non-musculoskeletal Disorders: A Systematic Review of the Literature. Chiropractic & Manual Therapies. February 2021.
- Gliedt JA, Schneider MJ, et al. The Biopsychosocial Model and Chiropractic: A Commentary With Recommendations for the chiropractic profession. Chiropractic & Manual Therapies. June 7, 2017.
- About Chiropractic. American Chiropractic Association.
- Depression and Pain. Harvard Health Publishing. March 21, 2017.
- Bussières DC AE, Stewart GD, Al-Zoubi F. Spinal Manipulative Therapy and Other Conservative Treatments for Low Back Pain: A Guideline From the Canadian Chiropractic Guideline Initiative. Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics. May 2018.
- Rubinstein SM, de Zoete A, van Middlekoop M, et al. Benefits and Harms of Spinal Manipulative Therapy for the Treatment of Chronic Low Back Pain: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomised Controlled Trials. BMJ. March 2019.
- Bryans Roland, Descarreaux M, Duranleau M, et al. Evidence-Based Guidelines for the Chiropractic Treatment of Adults With Headache. Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics. June 2011.
- Rist PM, Hernandez A, Bernstein C, et al. The Impact of Spinal Manipulation on Migraine Pain and Disability: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Headache. April 2019.
- Gross A, Langevin P, Burnie SJ, et al. Manipulation and Mobilisation for Neck Pain Contrasted Against an Inactive Control or Another Active Treatment. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. September 2015.
- Bronfort G, Evans R, Anderson AV, et al. Spinal Manipulation, Medication, or Home Exercise With Advice for Acute and Subacute Neck Pain: A Randomized Trial. Annals of Internal Medicine. January 2012.
- Spinal Manipulation: What You Need to Know. National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health.
- Lewis RA, Williams NH, Sutton AJ, et al. Comparative Clinical Effectiveness of Management Strategies for Sciatica: Systematic Review and Network Meta-Analyses. Spine Journal. June 2015.
- Beyerman KL, Palmerino MB, Zohn L, et al. Efficacy of Treating Low Back Pain and Dysfunction Secondary to Osteoarthritis: Chiropractic Care Compared With Moist Heat Alone. Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics. February 2006.
- Thorman P, Dixner A, Sundberg T. Effects of Chiropractic Care on Pain and Function in Patients With Hip Osteoarthritis Waiting for Arthroplasty: A Clinical Pilot Trial. Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics. July–August 2010.
- Cornelson SM, Beavers D, Harvey A, et al. Chiropractic Care in the Management of Inactive Ankylosing Spondylitis: A Case Series. Journal of Chiropractic Medicine. December 2017.
- Risk of Traumatic Injury Associated With Chiropractic Spinal Manipulation in Medicare Part B Beneficiaries Aged 66 to 99 Years. Spine. February 15, 2015.
- WHO Guidelines on Basic Training and Safety in Chiropractic. World Health Organization. 2005.
- Your Guide to Chiropractic Adjustments: Costs, Benefits and Risks. Forbes Health. September 14, 2021.
- Gliedt JA, Schneider MJ, Evans MW et al. The Biopsychosocial Model and Chiropractic: A Commentary With Recommendations for the Chiropractic Profession. Chiropractic and Manual Therapies. June 2017.
- What to Expect on Your First Visit. American Chiropractic Association.
- Should You Go to a Prenatal Chiropractor During Pregnancy? What to Expect. May 12, 2021.
- Cassidy JD, Boyle E, Côté P, Hogg-Johnson S, et al. Risk of Carotid Stroke After Chiropractic Care: A Population-Based Case-Crossover Study. Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases. November 2016.